Rideshare companies like Lyft and Uber frequently carry insurance to cover their drivers. If you were involved in an accident involving an Uber or Lyft driver, whether passenger or driver, you may be entitled to compensation from this insurance for bodily injuries or property damage. Contact the Kishish Law Group today for your free and confidential case evaluation by completing our contact form or by calling us toll free at 1 (888) 402-5552.
Rideshare apps like Uber and Lyft are revolutionizing the for-hire vehicle industry, experiencing large growth in the number of users and drivers. Uber has reportedly provided over 2 billion rides since its inception in 2010. While calling an Uber or a Lyft may be a convenient way to get home, rideshares may not be safer than the average driver and may be less safe than regulated taxi services. Rideshare accidents have killed many people.
Fortunately, Uber and Lyft both carry insurance policies that may compensate those involved in these accidents, whether driver or passenger. These policies may allow recovery of up to $1,000,000 in damages for those involved in accidents with an Uber driver or Lyft driver.
The Kishish Law Group can help you get the compensation you deserve after an accident involving an Uber or Lyft vehicle. We'll evaluate your situation and provide you with information on your legal options. You may be able to recover for bodily injuries or damages to property after an accident.
What should I do after an Uber accident or Lyft accident?
You should seek medical attention. Injuries from car accidents may not be immediately obvious and may be serious. Seeking medical help will also establish medical records necessary to prove your case. You can find more information about what to do after a car accident on our page on car accidents or in this FindLaw pamphlet.
It is advisable not to speak to the other party's insurance company or the rideshare company until you have contacted a lawyer. The insurance company and rideshare company may try to get you to settle your case for less than it is worth. Speaking to a qualified Uber and Lyft accident attorney can help you get the compensation that you deserve.
What do Uber's and Lyft's insurance policies cover?Uber and Lyft's current insurance policies as of July 2018 are described below.
Uber's insurance policies may cover an Uber driver's liability if they are in an accident and in some cases injuries or damages sustained by the Uber driver. Uber says that their policies cover liability to third parties while the app is online. After the driver is on the way to pick up a passenger and during the trip, Uber says their insurance covers:
- Third party liability. Coverage for damage by the Uber driver who is at fault to another driver, pedestrian or property, up to $1,000,000 per accident, but varying by state.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorists. Coverage for when the Uber driver is not at-fault and the other driver's insurance won't fully cover bodily injuries of the Uber driver or their passengers. Coverage limits are at least $1,000,000, but vary by state.
- Collision and comprehensive coverage. Coverage regardless of fault for damage to the Uber driver's vehicle as long as they carry personal auto insurance with collision coverage. This coverage has a $1,000 deductible and cap of the value of the vehicle.
Lyft's insurance policies provide two periods of coverage, the first starting when driver mode is turned on and the second from when the ride is accepted until it ends:
- Period One: Driver Mode on, but before a ride is accepted. If a driver's personal auto insurance does not cover this period, Lyft provides up to $50,000 of personal injury coverage, up to $25,000 property damage coverage and up to $100,000 coverage per accident with no deductible.
- Period Two: Ride accepted until ride ends. Similar to Uber, Lyft's insurance covers up to $1,000,000 in third party coverage per accident. Lyft's policy also provides comprehensive and collision coverage as long as a driver's personal auto insurance covers the same, with a $2,500 deductible. Additionally, Lyft's policy provides coverage for uninsured or underinsured motorists up to the limits required by state law.
Other Rideshare Company Policies
Many rideshare companies maintain similar insurance policies as Uber and Lyft. If you were injured in an accident involving a Wingz driver, a Summon driver, or a driver for another rideshare company, contact us to discuss your legal options.
Why do I need a lawyer for an Uber accident or Lyft accident?
Theoretically, passengers and drivers should be covered by these insurance polices. Practically, these companies will fight to deny you coverage. Uber has historically used the argument that their drivers are independent contractors and not employees to attempt to deny coverage after an accident involving an Uber driver. In one case in San Francisco, Uber tried to deny coverage of a family's medical bills after an Uber driver hit and killed a 6-year-old child.
An experienced lawyer can help you get the compensation that you deserve after an Lyft or Uber accident. If Lyft or Uber's insurance company denies coverage, a driver's personal insurance may not cover medical bills or property damage arising from the accident.
Do I have an Uber accident or Lyft accident case?
Speaking to a Lyft or Uber accident lawyer is the simplest way to find out if you have a case. Our experienced lawyers and staff will evaluate your case and help you determine what legal options are the best for you. Contact us today for your free and confidential case evaluation by completing our contact form or calling us toll free at 1 (888) 402-5552.
DISCLAIMER: No attorney client relationship will exist between you and our firm until we enter into a signed Retainer/Services Agreement. Completion of this document is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a Retainer/Services Agreement. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. In some jurisdictions this website may be considered lawyer advertising. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Click here for more information.
Speak with an Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer
If you were in a car crash involving Uber or Lyft contact Kishish Law Group to find out your options.
Contact a lawyer today for a free and confidential legal consultation.
Personal Injury Lawsuits
- Autonomous Vehicle Accidents
- Aviation Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Boat & Watercraft Accidents
- Boy Scouts Sexual Abuse
- Bus Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Countertop Silicosis
- Cruise Ship Injury
- Distracted Driving Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Farm Accidents
- FedEx and UPS Accidents
- Food Poisoning
- Larry Nassar Michigan State
- Motorcycle Accidents
- NFL Concussion Settlement
- Slip and Fall
- Uber and Lyft Accidents
- Uber and Lyft Sexual Assault
- Wrongful Death